Happy Sunday, gang! Here’s a pleasant way to spend part of your day: Test your Sports IQ with a round of good old-fashioned trivia. This set of questions features a mixed bag of gimmes and stumpers, and includes both local and national topics. Have at it!
1. Who was named “Fighter of the Decade” for the 1990s by the Boxing Writers Association of America?
2. What’s the sports nickname of Baldwin High School on Maui?
3. What famous athlete went toe to toe against Superman in a 1978 comic book?
4. Name the former Rainbow Wahine volleyball player whose dad played UH baseball and whose sister is an Olympic gold medal gymnast.
5. What Hall of Fame college basketball coach had it in his will to give each of his former players $200 to enjoy a dinner on him?
6. Who did BYU beat in the 1984 Holiday Bowl to win its first and only college football national championship?
7. What NFL team was known for its vaunted “Doomsday Defense”?
8. Name the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher who, in 1998, set a Major League Baseball record by going 59 consecutive innings without allowing a run.
9. What Rainbow Wahine soccer player was named last season’s Big West Conference “Goalkeeper of the Year”?
10. Who had the shortest head coaching stint in New York Jets history – exactly one day?
11.What four-time Pro Bowl player and 1988 NFL MVP played in the very first Aloha Bowl?
12. What sport are Garry Kasparov and Bobby Fischer associated with?
1. Roy Jones, Jr.
3. Muhammad Ali
4. McKenna Ross
5. Dean Smith
7. Dallas Cowboys
8. Orel Hershiser
9. Alexis Mata
10. Bill Belichick
11. Boomer Esiason
# # #