By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Happy Valentine’s Day! We hope your day is filled with love, romance, candy hearts, roses…and sports! To celebrate the occasion, we came up with a special Valentine’s Day quiz spotlighting 10 of the sports-related “power couples” of the past and present. We’ll provide some clues, and you give us the names. Example: “He is a seven-time Super Bowl champion, and she is one of the world’s highest-paid supermodels.” (What, you actually thought we were going to include Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen as one of our questions? That one’s too easy!)
A few of these couples are married. A few are dating. Some are still happily in love, while others are no longer together. (Alas, sometimes even love isn’t forever.) Give this quiz a shot and see how well do you!
1. He is a former No. 1-ranked golfer on the PGA TOUR and has won three of the tour’s four majors: the PGA Championship, the U.S. Open and The Open Champion. She is a former No. 1-ranked tennis player who won the 2018 Australian Open, becoming the first Dane to win a Grand Slam title.
2. He is an 8x Pro Bowler who quarterbacked his team to the Super Bowl XLVIII. She is a Grammy Award-winning R&B and pop singer who has sold more than 23 million records worldwide.
3. He is a 3x NFL MVP and a Super Bowl champion. She is a former professional race car driver who became the only woman to win an IndyCar Series event.
4. He is an NBA Hall of Famer and a 5x NBA champion. She is the bestselling female recording artist in history.
5. He is a former No. 1-ranked tennis player who won eight Grand Slam singles titles. She is also a former No. 1-ranked tennis player, except she won a whopping 22 Grand Slam singles titles.
6. He is a former World Series champion who banked more than $441 million in his MLB career the most in the history of baseball. She is a world-renowned actress and singer who Forbes magazine once called “the most powerful celebrity in the world.”
7. He was champion cyclist who had all his major championships stripped due to a doping scandal. She is a nine-time Grammy Award winner who has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide.
8. She is a 4x WNBA champion and 11x WNBA All-Star. She led the U.S. National Team to two World Cup titles and was named “Best FIFA Women’s Player” in 2019.
9. He helped his team win nine World Series championships and owns one of baseball’s most enduring records. She was an actress and one of the world’s most iconic sex symbols.
10. She won an Olympic medal in judo before becoming an MMA champion and WWE superstar. He is a former UFC heavyweight who was born in Hawaii.
1. Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki. The two were once engaged, but broke up in 2014. Wozniacki is now married to former NBA player David Lee.
2. Russell Wilson and Ciara. The couple married in 2016 and have two children.
3. Aaron Rodgers and Danica Patrick. The two were an item from 2018 to 2020.
4. Dennis Rodman and Madonna. They had a brief, highly-publicized relationship in 1994. Rodman once alleged that the famed “Queen of Pop” once offered him $20 million to impregnate her.
5. Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf. They started dating in 1999 and married in 2001.
6. Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez. A-Rod and J-Lo announced their engagement in 2019.
7. Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow. They announced their engagement in September 2005 but broke it off just five months later.
8. Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe. The two began dating in 2016 and announced their engagement in October of last year.
9. Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe. Although their marriage in 1954 lasted only nine months, they would later reconcile, and DiMaggio was rumored to ask Monroe to remarry him shortly before her death in 1962. When he died in 1999, DiMaggio’s final words were reportedly said to be, “I’ll finally get to see Marilyn.”
10. Ronda Rousey and Travis Browne. The two had a quiet wedding ceremony in Hawaii in 2017.
# # #