By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
If you are a hardcore NFL fan, by now you’ve read about a gazillion different mock drafts. So we thought we’d have a little fun and do something different, fun and, in all honesty, absolutely crazy. The concept: Using the current Round 1 draft order, we do a complete “re-draft” of current NFL players and top prospects. Every player is eligible to be selected, and the only way a team can protect a player is by using its pick to keep him. Got it? Let’s go. With the first pick of the 2021 NFL Re-Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select…
1. Jacksonville Jaguars: PATRICK MAHOMES, QB. Urban Meyer and the Jags go from selecting a potential star QB (Trevor Lawrence) to snapping up the best signal caller in the game today.
2. New York Jets: RUSSELL WILSON, QB. With Sam Darnold gone, the Jets need a QB. Wilson would relish the challenge of performing under the bright lights of the Big Apple.
3. San Francisco 49ers: LAMAR JACKSON, QB. In 2019, he was ranked as the No. 1 player in the league. The Niners land a dual-threat QB who’s faster and more dangerous than Colin Kaepernick – and without the drama.
4. Atlanta Falcons: TREVOR LAWRENCE, QB. Matt Ryan will soon be 36. Lawrence is considered the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck.
5. Cincinnati Bengals: AARON DONALD, DL. The Bengals could do worse than bringing in the greatest defensive player in football today.
6. Miami Dolphins: TYREEK HILL, WR. Tua needs weapons. With his next-level speed, Hill fits the bill perfectly.
7. Detroit Lions: DEANDRE HOPKINS, WR. This would make new Lions QB Jared Goff a happy man.
8. Carolina Panthers: GEORGE KITTLE, TE. The Panthers land an elite receiving talent to help out new acquisition Sam Darnold.
9. Denver Broncos: AARON RODGERS, QB. Sure, he’s not the long-term answer at QB. But Rodgers would make the Broncos relevant again, and a playoff threat.
10. Dallas Cowboys: TJ WATT, EDGE. The ‘Boys shore up their defense in a big way.
11. New York Giants: MYLES GARRETT, DE. One of the NFL’s elite disrupters.
12. Philadelphia Eagles: ALVIN KAMARA, RB. Bringing in one of the league’s most prolific and versatile backs eases some pressure on Jalen Hurts.
13. Los Angeles Chargers: JUSTIN HERBERT, QB. The Chargers feel they have their franchise QB. This assures they won’t lose him.
14. Minnesota Vikings: JOSH ALLEN, QB. The Vikes can’t be satisfied with Kirk Cousins. Here’s a younger, stronger upgrade.
15. New England Patriots: NICK BOSA, EDGE. Sure, the Pats are looking for a QB. But it would be difficult to pass on one of the game’s best young defensive talents.
16. Arizona Cardinals: JALEN RAMSEY, CB. The Cards fortify their D with a shutdown corner.
17. Las Vegas Raiders: KHALIL MACK, DE. Khalil comes home.
18. Miami Dolphins: DERRICK HENRY, RB. Another weapon for Tua.
19. Washington Football Team: CHASE YOUNG, DE. Like the Chargers, Washington picks one of their own to ensure his place on the roster. Young is special.
20. Chicago Bears: DESHAUN WATSON, QB. The Bears finally get a top-level QB. Now please excuse them while they do a lot of hoping and praying.
21. Indianapolis Colts: MICHAEL THOMAS, WR. The jury’s still out on whether Carson Wentz is a top-level NFL QB. Adding a weapon like Thomas to pair with TY Hilton, Wentz would have no excuses.
22. Tennessee Titans: DALVIN COOK, RB. With the Dolphins stealing away Derrick Henry, the Titans recover nicely by nabbing Cook.
23. New York Jets: DEFOREST BUCKNER, DL. The Jets earlier took one of the league’s top offensive players in Russell Wilson. Now they pick up an elite talent on the defensive side.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: JOEY BOSA, EDGE. After losing TJ Watt, the Steelers find a capable replacement.
25. Jacksonville Jaguars: TRAVIS KELCE, TE. We can imagine Patrick Mahomes singing, “Reunited…and it feels so good!”
26. Cleveland Browns: Stephon Gilmore, CB. The resurgent Browns pluck the All-Pro corner from New England and pair him with Denzel Ward.
27. Baltimore Ravens: DAK PRESCOTT, QB. No, he’s not Lamar Jackson. But who would you rather have, Prescott or current Ravens backup Tyler Huntley? Yeah, we thought so.
28. New Orleans Saints: TOM BRADY, QB. If you can replace a Hall of Fame QB with a better Hall of Fame QB, and screw over your division rival at the same time, you absolutely have to do it.
29. Green Bay Packers: DARREN WALLER, TE. With Rodgers gone to Denver, it’s time to see what Jordan Love can do. Waller is one of the top tight ends in the league and would provide Love with an instant security blanket.
30. Buffalo Bills: ZACH WILSON, QB. The Bills take a chance on the former BYU star, who is currently projected as the No. 2 pick in the actual draft.
31. Kansas City Chiefs: KYLER MURRAY, QB. It’ll be tough filling Patrick Mahomes’ shoes, but Murray under Andy Reid’s tutelage is an enticing thought.
32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DEREK CARR, QB. The Bucs would happily get behind the wheels of this Carr. He’s no Brady, but he’s younger and capable of leading an offense. Good thing the Raiders still have Marcus Mariota.
# # #