By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Happy Sunday! Ready for another round of sports trivia? Now, some of these questions might be considered to be on the difficult side, but here’s the good news: We’re including helpful hints with each query! With these assists, we think you should score pretty well. We’re also mixing up the questions, with each focusing on a different sport. Ready? Good luck!
1. J.D. Martinez was the last player to accomplish this feat. (Hint: He did this in 2017 as a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks.)
2. Wilt Chamberlain still holds the NBA record for most points in a game (100). Who scored the second-most points in league history? (Hint: It happened in January of 2006.)
3. Who holds the record for most career assists in Rainbow Wahine volleyball history? (Hint: She played in the 2000s.)
4. Who was on the receiving end of Tom Brady’s first-ever NFL touchdown pass? (Hint: He was an All-American at Ohio State and later played for the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys.)
5. On April 10 of this year, he became the first Rainbow Warrior Baseball player since 1996 to hit for the cycle. (Hint: After the season, he announced that he will join Texas A&M as a graduate transfer.)
6. Who is Kevin McBride and what is he primarily known for? (Hint: Think boxing.)
7. Who holds the UH football record for most TD passes thrown in a single half? (Hint: It’s not Colt Brennan or Timmy Chang.)
8. Who is the only woman to win “LPGA Rookie of the Year,” “Player of the Year” and the Vare Trophy (lowest scoring average) in the same year? (Hint: It happened in 1978.)
9. What school has an 11-1 record in the Rainbow Classic basketball tournament, winning three championships? (Hint: It’s an ACC school.)
10. Who is the only tennis player in the Open Era to achieve a double career grand slam (winning each major championship at least twice)? (Hint: He is still an active player on the ATP Tour.)
1. To date, 18 players in MLB history have hit four home runs in one game. Martinez was the last to do it, slugging four HRs against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sept. 4, 2017.
2. Kobe Bryant put up 81 points against the Toronto Raptors on Jan. 22, 2006.
3. Kanoe Kamana‘o had 6,428 assists in her UH career. Martina Cincerova is a distant second (4,637).
4. The late receiver Terry Glenn was the recipient of Brady’s first TD pass.
5. Shortstop Kole Kaler hit for the cycle in a road game against UC Riverside.
6. In 2005, McBride became the fighter who ended Mike Tyson’s boxing career. The journeyman slugger stopped Tyson with a sixth-round TKO. Tyson announced his retirement after the fight.
7. Against UC Davis in 2011, Bryant Moniz tossed 7 TD passes in the first half.
8. Nancy Lopez. That year, she won five consecutive LPGA tournaments.
9. North Carolina won Classic titles in 1972, 1977 and 1982. The Tar Heels lost to Michigan in a 1992 semifinal for their only loss in Rainbow Classic history.
10. Novak Djokovic completed his second career grand slam earlier this year by winning the French Open.
# # #