By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Take this 10-question Pop Quiz and see how well you really know Michael Jordan, still regarded as the greatest basketball player of all time. Fair warning: While some questions are easy slam dunks, others may be “Jordan Rules” tough!
1. Where was Michael Jordan born?
A. Wilmington, NC
B. Brooklyn, NY
C. Trenton, NJ
2. In the legend of Michael Jordan, who is Clifton Herring?
A. High school coach who cut Jordan in his sophomore year
B. Family friend who gave Jordan his first basketball
C. Childhood rival who was once considered a better college prospect
3. What was Jordan’s scoring average during his freshman season at North Carolina?
4. During his sophomore year at UNC, Jordan played in the Rainbow Classic in Honolulu. What was his three-night scoring total?
A. 36 points
B. 49 points
C. 67 points
5. Chicago selected Jordan with the third pick in the 1984 NBA Draft. Who was NOT part of this draft class?
A. Karl Malone and Wayman Tisdale
B. Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Perkins
C. Charles Barkley and John Stockton
6. Jordan scored 16 points in his NBA debut. Who was his team’s leading scorer that night?
A. Reggie Theus
B. Orlando Woolridge
C. Bill Cartwright
7. What jersey number did Jordan wear as a two-time U.S. Olympic team gold medalist?
8. Jordan’s first NBA championship came against which team?
A. Los Angeles Lakers
B. Portland Trailblazers
C. Phoenix Suns
9. Which of the following is NOT a title of a Michael Jordan home video?
A. “Come Fly with Me”
B. “Michael Jordan’s Playground”
C. “Sky’s the Limit”
10. In Jordan’s smash movie blockbuster, “Space Jam,” who voiced the villainous character, Swackhammer?
A. Dan Akroyd
B. Vincent Price
C. Danny DeVito
11. When Jordan abruptly quit basketball, what minor league baseball team did he briefly play for?
A. Birmingham Barons
B. Rocket City Trash Pandas
C. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
12. Jordan finished with 32,292 points in his NBA career, placing him right between:
A. Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille O’Neal
B. Karl Malone and LeBron James
C. Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki
1. B – Jordan was born in Brooklyn. The family moved to Wilmington, NC when he was a toddler.
2. A – Herrington felt Jordan was too short and dropped him to the jayvee team that year.
3. B – 13.4.He was named the ACC’s “Freshman of the Year.”
4. B – Jordan scored 49 total points, helping UNC beat Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Missouri to claim the Classic title.
5. A – Malone and Malone were in the 1985 draft class.
6. B – Woolridge led the Bulls with 28 points. Jordan actually finished fourth on the team in scoring that night, behind Woolridge, Quentin Dailey and Steve Johnson.
7. C – Jordan wore jersey number 9.
8. A – The Bulls defeated the Lakers, 4 games to 1.
9. C – “Sky’s the Limit.”
10. C – Danny DeVito.
11. A – Birmingham Barons.The other two are also actual team names, by the way.
12. C – Jordan is currently fifth on the NBA’s career scoring list, behind Kobe Bryant and ahead of Dirk Nowitzki.
# # #