By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Are you as happy as we are to see the return of Major League Baseball? If you’re a New York Yankees fan, of course, you know you can listen to their games all season long on ESPN Honolulu and our sister station, CBS 1500. In the meantime, here’s a challenging-but-fun Yankees trivia quiz for you. Enjoy!
1. From jersey numbers 1 through 10, which is the only number that the Yankees organization has yet to retire?
C. They were all retired.
2. “Mr. October” Reggie Jackson is a distant cousin of what other famed former Major League slugger?
A. Barry Bonds
B. Hank Aaron
C. Frank Thomas
3. What was the team’s nickname before changing it to “Yankees”?
4. Which Yankee became the first relief pitcher to win the American League Cy Young Award?
A. Rich “Goose” Gossage
B. Sparky Lyle
C. Mariano Rivera
5. Who is the team’s all-time leader in hits?
A. Mickey Mantle
B. Derek Jeter
C. Joe DiMaggio
6. Who hit the first Yankee regular-season home run at the current Yankee Stadium, which opened in 2009?
A. Bernie Williams
B. Jorge Posada
C. Alex Rodriguez
7. What year did George Steinbrenner become owner of the Yankees?
8. On August 25, 2011, the Yankees became the first team in MLB history to have three players hit a grand slam in the same game. Two of the Yankees were Robinson Cano and Russell Martin. Who was the third?
A. Alex Rodriguez
B. Mark Teixeira
C. Curtis Granderson
9. What team traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees before the start of the 1920 season?
A. Boston Red Sox
B. Cleveland Indians
C. Oakland Athletics
10. Derek Jeter hold the Yankees record for all-time games played (2,747). Who was the previous record holder?
A. Lou Gehrig
B. Mickey Mantle
C. Thurman Munson
11. Three MLB players hold the record for most consecutive games with a home run (8). Two of the players are Seattle’s Ken Griffey, Jr. and Pittsburgh’s Dale Long? Name the Yankee who also holds the record.
A. Dave Winfield
B. Alex Rodriguez
C. Don Mattingly
12. In 1956, Don Larsen became the first Yankees pitcher to be named World Series MVP. Who was the most recent Yankee pitcher to achieve this honor?
A. Mariano Rivera
B. Ron Guidry
C. Andy Pettitte
1. C – Jersey numbers 1 through 10 have all been retired by the Yankees. The list: 1-Billy Martin; 2-Derek Jeter; 3-Babe Ruth; 4-Lou Gehrig; 5-Joe DiMaggio; 6-Joe Torre; 7-Mickey Mantle; 8-Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey; 9-Roger Maris; and 10-Phil Rizzuto.
2. A – Jackson and Bonds are distant cousins.
3. C – The Yanks were once known as the Highlanders. The franchise itself was originally the Baltimore Orioles (not affiliated with the current Orioles organization).
4. B – Lyle won the Cy Young Award in 1977.
5. B – Derek Jeter (3,465 career hits as a Yankee).
6. B – Posada blasted a HR off of Cleveland Indians ace Cliff Lee in the fifth. New York lost the home opener, 10-2.
7. A – The late Steinbrenner purchased the club in 1973.
8. C – Granderson.
9. A – The Red Sox traded Ruth to the Yankees in exchange for the then-astronomical sum of $100,000 in cash.
10. B – Mantle played 2,401 games for New York from 1951 to 1968.
11. C – Mattingly hit homers in 8 straight games during the 1987 season.
12. A – Rivera captured World Series MVP honors in 1999. He posted a win and 2 saves to lead the Yankees to a four-game sweep of the Atlanta Braves.
HOW’D YOU DO?
12 correct = You’re the Great Bambino!
10-11 correct = Hall of Fame material
6-9 correct = All-Star level
2-5 correct = We’re sending you down to the minors
0-1 correct = You must be a Red Sox fan.
# # #