By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Still recovering from the University of Hawaii men’s volleyball team’s stunning loss to UC San Diego on Friday? Yeah, us too. We’ll find out soon whether the Rainbow Warriors secure an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament, as the NCAA Selection Show is slated to start this morning at 7:00 a.m. For Hawaii fans, Friday’s outcome has to go down as one of the most bitter defeats in recent memory. But it is simply the latest in a long, long list of shocking upsets in this crazy world of sports. Here’s a short quiz on some of the most memorable upsets in sports history:
1. Name the school that shot an amazing 78.6 percent from the field to beat heavily favored Georgetown in the 1985 NCAA Tournament men’s basketball championship game.
2. On Feb. 11, 1990, Buster Douglas, a 42-to-1 underdog, knocked out Mike Tyson in the 10th round to capture boxing’s heavyweight crown. In what city was the fight held?
3. In Super Bowl III, Joe Namath made good on his “guarantee” that the New York Jets would beat the favored Baltimore Colts. Who was the Colts’ starting QB in that game?
4. Perhaps the most famous upset of all time was the U.S. hockey team beating the Soviet Union at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. Many people forget, however, that this was not the gold medal game. Who did the U.S. beat two days later to secure Olympic gold?
5. What year did tiny NAIA school Chaminade shock No. 1 Virginia in what many observers call the greatest upset in college basketball history?
6. What team did New York’s “Miracle Mets” beat in the 1969 World Series?
7. Who took boxing’s heavyweight crown from Muhammad Ali in on his eighth professional fight?
8. Name the University of Hawaii running back who rushed for 99 yards and 3 TDs to lead the Rainbow Warriors to a thrilling 27-24 upset over No. 9-ranked Iowa in 1988.
9. Who handed Ronda Rousey her first loss at UFC 193?
10. Who led Hawaii in scoring the night the Rainbow Warrior basketball team shocked No. 2-ranked Kansas in the championship game of the 1997 Rainbow Classic?
1. The Villanova Wildcats.
2. The fight took place in Tokyo, Japan.
3. Johnny Unitas.
4. The U.S. beat Finland, 4-2.
5. The Silverswords upset Ralph Sampson and the Cavaliers in 1982.
6. The Mets upset the Baltimore Orioles.
7. Leon Spinks dethroned Ali in 1978.
8. Heikoti Fakava.
9. On Nov. 15, 2015, Holly Holm knocked out Rousey in the second round to claim Rousey’s bantamweight title.
10. Alika Smith led UH with 22 points as Hawaii beat the Jayhawks, 76-65.
# # #