By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Oh, it’s true: The Golden State Warriors are one of the most storied franchises in the history of the NBA. Only two teams have won more NBA titles (the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics). Some of basketball’s greatest players have worn a Warriors uniform, including Wilt Chamberlain, Rick Barry and Steph Curry. So for your trivia pleasure, here’s a short Pop Quiz spotlighting the history, players and milestones in Golden State history:
1. The Warriors franchise was founded in 1946. Which city was the team’s first home?
2. What future L.A. Laker won an NBA title as a rookie with the 1975 Golden State Warriors?
A. Jamaal Wilkes
B. Norm Nixon
C. Kurt Rambis
3. What significance does the date “March 2, 1962” have in Warriors history?
A. That was the day the team embarked on a 23-game winning streak, then an NBA record
B. That was the day the Warriors’ Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points
C. That was the day the franchise acquired the contract rights to Chamberlain
4. Who is the only Warrior to win the NBA Three-Point Contest more than once?
A. Klay Thompson
B. Steph Curry
C. Chris Mullin
5. Name the Warrior who was selected NBA “Rookie of the Year” in 1994.
A. Chris Webber
B. Billy Owens
C. Latrell Sprewell
6. Which Warrior All-Star played in the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic?
A. Draymond Green
B. Steph Curry
C. Klay Thompson
7. In 1967, this Warrior became the first NBA marquee player to jump to the rival ABA.
A. Rick Barry
B. Al Attles
C. Nate Thurmond
8. Who is the franchise’s all-time leader in career points?
A. Wilt Chamberlain
B. Rick Barry
C. Steph Curry
9. What was the nickname given to Warrior teammates Tim Hardaway, Mitch Ritchmond and Chris Mullin?
A. “The Triple Threat”
B. “ Run T.M.C.”
C. “The Bay Brothers”
10. What future NBA Hall of Famer did the Warriors select in the 1976 NBA Draft?
A. Robert Parish
B. Bernard King
C. Gus Williams
1 – C. The franchise was based in Philadelphia before relocating to San Francisco in 1962.
2 – A. Formerly known as Keith Wilkes, the ex-UCLA star was the 1975 “Rookie of the Year” and helped the Warriors win the league championship.
3 – B. Chamberlain scored 100 points that day against the New York Knicks.
4 – B. Curry win the event in 2015 and 2021.
5 – A. Chris Webber.
6 – C. Thompson and the Washington State Cougars took part in the 2010 DHC event.
7 – A. Barry jumped from the Warriors to the ABA’s Oakland Oaks.
8 – C. Curry passed Chamberlain on the franchise’s career scoring list last month (April 13).
9 – B. The trio was collectively known as “Run T.M.C.”
10 – A. Parish played four seasons at Golden State before being traded to the Boston Celtics.
# # #