By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Today, we thought we’d look back on the 50-year history of “Monday Night Football,” which has become a fixture not just in football, but in all of American television. Take this short Pop Quiz to see how much you really know about MNF!
1. Who were the two teams that played in the very first MNF game on Sept. 21, 1970?
A. Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys
B. New York Jets and Cleveland Browns
C. Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders
2. Who was the play-by-play announcer in the first season of MNF?
A. Frank Gifford
B. Curt Gowdy
C. Keith Jackson
3. What NFL team has made the most MNF appearances?
A. Miami Dolphins
B. Pittsburgh Steelers
C. Green Bay Packers
4. Who composed the iconic MNF theme, “Heavy Action”?
A. Johnny Pearson
B. Henry Mancini
C. Mike Post
5. What breaking news did Howard Cosell reveal to the nation during the Dec. 8, 1980 MNF broadcast?
A. Iran had agreed to release the American hostages that it held hostage.
B. Beatles legend John Lennon had been fatally shot.
C. There was an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
6. Which trio never served as MNF color analysts?
A. Alex Karras, Fran Tarkenton and OJ Simpson
B. Fred Williamson, Dan Dierdorf and Dan Fouts
C. Phil Simms, Tony Dorsett and Terry Bradshaw
7. What has been the most frequent MNF matchups?
A. Cowboys vs Giants
B. Raiders vs Broncos
C. Dolphins vs Patriots
8. What year did MNF switch to ESPN?
9. What was the most-watched game in the history of MNF?
A. Green Bay at Minnesota (Sept. 22, 2009)
B. Chicago at Green Bay (Dec. 2, 1985)
C. Kansas City at San Francisco (Nov. 5, 1993)
10. Which MNF color analyst would famously sing, “Turn out the lights…the party’s over” when the game’s outcome was well in hand?
A. Dan Dierdorf
B. Fran Tarkenton
C. Don Meredith
1 – B. The Browns held off Joe Namath and the Jets, 31-21.
2 – C. Jackson held the job for one season. Gifford took over the position the following year.
3 – A. The Dolphins have appeared on MNF 84 times. Their MNF record is 42-42.
4 – A. Pearson
5 – B. (Video clip below)
7 – B. The Raiders and Broncos have met 19 times on MNF.
8 – A. 2006
9 – B. A MNF record 39 million people watched the 1985 game, in which Dan Marino and the Dolphins spoiled the Bears’ bid for an undefeated regular season. The Bears would go on to win the Super Bowl.
10 – C. (Video clip below)
# # #