By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
As a University of Hawaii journalism major way back in the late 1980s, I remember taking current events quizzes during almost every news writing class. If we wanted to report on the news, after all, we were expected to keep up with what was happening in the world around us. So here’s a little Pop Quiz for you Sports aficionados out there. These are the sports news and headlines from this past weekend. Give it a try!
1. Which Los Angeles Lakers player took responsibility for his team’s Game 1 loss to the Phoenix Suns on Sunday, saying, “There’s no way we’re winning a game, let alone a series, with me playing the way that I played”?
A. LeBron James
B. Anthony Davis
C. Dennis Schröeder
2. Which two players tied for a second-place finish at the PGA Championship?
A. Brooks Koepka and Rickie Fowler
B. Collin Morikawa and Louis Oosthuizen
C. Louis Oosthuizen and Brooks Koepka
3. How did the UH baseball team do this past weekend in their four-game series against UC San Diego?
A. Won 3 games, lost 1
B. Split the series with 2 wins apiece
C. Won 1 game, lost 3
4. As of Sunday night, which MLB is currently riding a 10-game winning streak?
A. New York Yankees
B. Tampa Bay Rays
C. Los Angeles Dodgers
5. Former Campbell HS softball star Jocelyn Alo is returning to the NCAA Super Regionals after her team pounded Wichita State, 24-7, on Sunday. What school does Alo play for?
B. Michigan State
6. How did Hawaii’s Yancy Medeiros fare in his UFC fight against Damir Hadzovic on Saturday?
A. Medeiros won by second-round submission
B. Medeiros loss by a unanimous decision
C. The fight never happened. It was called off after an injury to Hadzovic having health issues.
7. Name the Atlanta Hawks player who hit the game-winning shot against the New York Knicks on Sunday.
A. Trae Young
B. Lou Williams
C. Clint Capela
8. According to UH Athletics, what is the projected cost to retrofit the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex to accommodate home football games?
A. $5.7 million
B. $8.3 million
C. $10.4 million
9. How did ESPN commentator Stephen A. Smith recently describe Tim Tebow’s return to the NFL?
A. A “publicity stunt”
B. An example of “white privilege”
C. A “Cinderella story” (if he makes the team)
10. Who scored 37 points on Sunday to lead the Philadelphia 76ers to a Game 1 victory over the Washington wiWizards?
A. Tobias Harris
B. Ben Simmons
C. Joel Embiid
1 – B. Anthony Davis
2 – C. Oosthuizen and Koepka
3 – C. Hawaii went 1-3
4 – B. Tampa Bay
5 – A. Oklahoma
6 – C. The fight was called off
7 – A. Trae Young hit a floater with a second to go to win it for Atlanta
8 – B. $8.3 million
9 – B. Smith called it “white privilege”
10. A. Tobias Harris
# # #