By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
It’s not easy being a Clippers fan. Even today, as I’m writing this, the Clips are down 0-2 to the Utah Jazz in the NBA Playoffs. The franchise has had its share of All-Star players (Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan and current Clippers Kawhi Leonard and Paul George), but for whatever reason, it has never won a league championship. In fact, the Clippers have yet to reach the NBA Finals,
But hey, maybe this will be the year. You gotta have hope, right?
Clippers fans, this one’s for you. Take this quickie quiz and see how much you know your team:
1. What city was home to the Clippers before the franchise relocated to Los Angeles?
A. St. Louis
C. San Diego
2. Who is the franchise’s all-time leading scorer?
A. Blake Griffin
B. Randy Smith
C. Tom Chambers
3. The Clippers are the oldest NBA franchise that has yet to appear in the NBA Finals. Which franchise is the second oldest?
A. Indiana Pacers
B. Denver Nuggets
C. Minnesota Timberwolves
4. In 1998, the Clippers had the top pick in the NBA Draft. Who did they select?
A. Danny Manning
B. Michael Olowokandi
C. Baron Davis
5. The Clippers franchise was founded in 1970. What city was the team’s first home?
6. Who was the Clippers’ team owner who was forced to sell the franchise and banned from the league in 2014?
A. Donald Sterling
B. Pat Croce
C. Don Carter
7. What’s the most wins the Clippers ever recorded in the regular season?
8. What NBA Hall of Famer served as the team’s Vice President/General Manager for 22 years?
A. Jerry West
B. Elgin Baylor
C. Lenny Wilkins
9. Who is the franchise’s career assists leader?
A. Chris Paul
B. Norm Nixon
C. Mark Jackson
10. Who was the first Clipper to be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame?
A. Bob McAdoo
B. Randy Smith
C. Bill Walton
1 – C. The team previously played in San Diego. The Clippers moved to L.A. in 1984.
2 – B. Randy Smith. Smith scored 12,735 points in his two stints with the franchise (1971-79 1982-83).
3 – B. The Denver Nuggets. The Clippers have gone 50 years without ever reaching the Finals. Denver has gone 44.
4 – A. The Clippers selected Danny Manning.
5 – B. The team was originally based in Buffalo.
6 – A. Donald Sterling.
7 – B. The Clippers went 57-25 in the 2013-14 season.
8 – B. Baylor served as the team’s VP/GM from 1986 to 2008. He was named the “NBA Executive of the Year” in 2006.
9 – A. Chris Paul dished out 4,023 assists during his years as a Clipper.
10 – C. Walton, who was a Clipper from 1979 to 1985, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1993.
# # #