By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
On the big screen, is there a more iconic sports franchise than the “Rocky” films? For millions of fans, Since the first installment in 1976, Rocky Balboa has become a symbol of grit and perseverance – the ultimate rags-to-riches story. In tribute to “Rocky,” here’s a short Pop Quiz highlighting the franchises first three films. Some questions are playful jabs, while others may send you to the canvas. Whatever you do, don’t give up. As Mickey once said, “I didn’t hear no bell!”
1. In the opening scene of “Rocky,” who is Rocky Balboa fighting?
A. Billy “Bobo” Luzinski
B. Spider Rico
C. Ace Callihan
2. In the first film, Rocky courts Paulie’s younger sister, Adrian. What is the siblings’ surname?
3. The night before the big fight with Apollo Creed, Rocky tells Adrian what his goal is. What is it?
A. Go the distance
B. Knock down the champion at least once
C. Do well enough to score a few endorsements
4. “Rocky” won a 1977 Oscar for:
A. Best Actor
B. Best Supporting Actor
C. Best Picture
5. Who composed the original score for “Rocky?
A. Bill Conti
B. John Williams
C. Marvin Hamlisch
6. In the hospital scene in “Rocky II,” what does Rocky ask Apollo?
A. “Do you really think you won the fight?”
B. “Did you give me your best?”
C. “Are you serious about a rematch?”
7. What book does Rocky read to Adrian while she is in a coma?
A. “War of the Worlds” by H.G. Wells
B. “Huck Finn” by Mark Twain
C. “The Deputy Sheriff of Comanche County” by Edgar Rice Burroughs
8. Where does the second Apollo-Rocky fight take place?
A. Madison Square Guardian
B. Philadelphia Spectrum
C. Nassau Coliseum
9. What is the name of Hulk Hogan’s character in “Rocky III”?
B. Big-Top Bully
C. The Nightmare
10. What round does Clubber Lang knock out Rocky in their first fight?
A. Round 1
B. Round 2
C. Round 3
11. What were Mickey’s final words to Rocky before dying?
A. “What round?”
B. “Ya did good, kid.”
C. “I love ya.”
12. What does Apollo tell Rocky when he gives him his red, white and blue boxing trunks?
A. “You just make sure you wash’em before you bring them back.”
B. “I’m proud of you, man. You earned this.”
C. “Just don’t get any blood on them tonight, okay?”
0 to 3 Correct: Mickey was right about you the first time, you bum!
4 to 7 Correct: You still can’t catch that chicken.
8 to 9 Correct: Way to go, Rocko!
10 to 11: You’re flying high, now!
Perfect Score: “Yo, Adrian! I did it!”
# # #