By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
The history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is filled with peaks and valleys. From its humble beginnings to Super Bowl success, the franchise has seen and experienced it all. This past season, with the addition of Tom Brady, the Bucs captured their second Super Bowl championship. Can they do it again in this season? (Seriously, would you bet against Tom Brady?) Bucs fans, this Pop Quiz is just for you!
1. Tampa Bay was one of two expansion teams to join the NFL in 1976. Which was the other team?
A. Seattle Seahawks
B. Houston Oilers
C. Baltimore Ravens
2. What was the team’s win-loss record in its inaugural season?
3. Who was named the Super Bowl MVP in 2003, when Tampa Bay decisively beat the Oakland Raiders?
A. Derrick Brooks
B. Simeon Rice
C. Dexter Jackson
4. Tampa Bay earned their first playoff berth in 1979 and reached the NFC championship game. Who was their starting QB?
A. Jim Zorn
B. Doug Williams
C. Neil Lomax
5. As an expansion club, the Bucs had the No. 1 pick in the 1976 NFL Draft. Who did they select?
A. Steve Spurrier
B. Lee Roy Selmon
C. Doug Williams
6. Who is Tampa Bay’s all-time leader in career receiving yards?
A. Keyshawn Johnson
B. Warrick Dunn
C. Mike Evans
7. Who did the team acquire in 2003 in exchange for two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8 million in cash?
A. Jon Gruden
B. Warren Sapp
C. Bruce Smith
8. What NFL team did Bruce Arians coach before taking the reins at Tampa Bay?
A. Houston Texans
B. Arizona Cardinals
C. Buffalo Bills
9. Who did the Bucs select with the No. 1 overall pick in the 1986 NFL Draft?
A. Bo Jackson
B. Vinny Testaverde
C. Derrick Brooks
10. How many conference championship games has Tom Brady appeared in?
1 – A. Seattle Seahawks.
2 – C. The Bucs were winless in their first season. In fact, their first franchise win didn’t come until the 13th week of their second season.
3 – C. Jackson, a safety, had two interceptions in the game.
4 – B. Doug Williams.
5 – B. Selmon went on to become the team’s first player to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
6 – C. And it’s not close. Evans has 8,266 receiving yards so far. Mark Carrier is second on the list with 5,018 yards.
7 – A. The NFL has since prohibited teams from trading trading draft picks for coaches.
8 – B. Arians served as the Cardinals’ head coach from 2013 to 2017.
9 – A. Jackson never signed with the Bucs, choosing to play baseball that year.
10 – C. That doubles the amount of conference title game appearances by the No. 2 player on the list (Joe Montana).
# # #