By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
When you think of University of Hawaii basketball players who were popular with the fans, you might think of Nani Cockett, BJ Itoman, Alika Smith and Carl English. Near the top of every list, however, is point guard Anthony Carter. Carter thrilled UH fans for two memorable seasons (1996-97 and 1997-98), helping the Rainbow Warriors to earn postseason appearances and upsetting the likes of No. 2 Kansas. Take this quickie Pop Quiz and learn all about the dynamic “AC.”
1. What city was Anthony Carter born in?
A. Los Angeles
B. New York City
2. What junior college did Carter attend before coming to Hawaii?
A. Saddleback College (California)
B. San Jacinto College (Texas)
C. Hutchinson Community College (Kansas)
3. Carter ranks second in career points among players who played at UH for only two seasons. Who is the only two-year player have more points in his UH career?
A. Bob Nash
B. Tom Henderson
C. Stefan Jankovic
4. What statistical category is Carter NOT Hawaii’s career leader in?
A. Assists average
5. Which milestone did the Rainbow Warriors NOT achieve during Carter’s UH career?
A. Captured the program’s first-ever WAC regular-season championship
B. Ranked in AP Poll for the first time in nearly 25 years
C. Advanced to the NIT semifinals at Madison Square Garden
6. Who was Hawaii’s opponent for Carter’s final game in a UH uniform?
A. Fresno State
B. New Mexico
7. After a year in the CBA, Carter joined the NBA in 1999. What team did he play for that season?
A. Miami Heat
B. New York Knicks
C. Phoenix Suns
8. Which set of players were NEVER Carter’s teammates in the NBA?
A. Allen Iverson, Tim Hardaway, Tim Duncan
B. Alonzo Mourning, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Garnett
C. Patrick Ewing, Vince Carter, Ray Allen
9. With what NBA team did Carter have his best season, posting highs in scoring average (7.8), rebounding average (2.9) assists average (5.5), steals average (1.5), three-point percentage (.349), average minutes (28.0) and games started (67)?
A. Miami Heat
B. Denver Nuggets
C. Sacramento Kings
10. Carter is currently an assistant coach with what NBA team?
A. Atlanta Hawks
B. San Antonio Spurs
C. Miami Heat
1 – C. Carter was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1975
2 – A. Saddleback. The late Colt Brennan also attended Saddleback.
3 – B. Tom Henderson
4 – B. Steals. Roderick Bobbit is No. 1 in this category. Carter is sixth on the career list.
5 – C. Hawaii never made it past the NIT quarterfinals
6 – A. Fresno State. The Bulldogs knocked off UH in the 1998 NIT quarterfinals.
7 – A. Carter played for Miami for four seasons, from 1999 through 2003.
8 – C. AC never played with Ewing, Carter or Allen
9 – B. Statistically, Carter had his best season as a member of the Denver Nuggets (2007-08 season)
10 – C. Carter is currently the Player Development Coach for the Heat
Good job! As your reward, here is a video clip of AC’s most memorable shot of his NBA career: a game-winner over the New York Knicks in the 2000 playoffs:
# # #