By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
The NFL is back! And once again, Hawaii fans will be able to follow several NFL players with Hawaii ties, including Tua Tagovailoa (Dolphins), DeForest Buckner (Colts), Tyson Alualu (Steelers), Aloha Gilman (Chargers), Marcus Kemp (Chiefs), Ka‘imi Fairbairn (Texans) and others. Take this trivia quiz and see how well you know some of the great NFL Hawaiians from the past:
- Gary Allen is the University of Hawaii’s all-time leading rusher, with 3,451 net yards. Which NFL team drafted Allen in 1982?
- The late Colt Brennan was selected by the Washington Redskins in the 2008 draft. What round did they select him in?
- Ex-Saint Louis School star Olin Kreutz enjoyed a lengthy career in the NFL, earning All-Pro honors with the Chicago Bears. What jersey number did he wear for Chicago?
- Who is the only Hawaii Rainbow Warrior to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft?
- Former Hawaii great Blane Gaison is now the Executive Director for the ILH. What NFL team did he play for?
- Former Waianae great Kurt Gouveia won a national championship with BYU and two Super Bowl rings with what NFL team?
- Kailua’s Russ Francis was an All-Pro tight end for the New England Patriots, and later won a Super Bowl ring with the San Francisco 49ers. Name the TV sports announcer that gave Francis the nickname, “All World.”
- Name the former Rainbow Warrior who was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the sixth round of the 2005 NFL Draft.
- Ex-UH running back James Fenderson played three seasons with the NFL’s New Orleans Saints. What Hawaii high school did Fenderson attend?
- In 1998, former UH placekicker Jason Elam booted a ___-yard field goal for the Denver Broncos, tying the all-time mark for the longest field goal in NFL history. How long was that field goal?
- What NFL team drafted former UH All-American defensive lineman Al Noga in the 1988 NFL Draft? (Bonus point if you can correctly guess the round he was drafted in!)
- Former Rainbow Warrior receiver Greg Salas was drafted in the fourth round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the then-St. Louis Rams. Name at least three of the other NFL teams he played for.
ANSWERS: 1. Houston Oilers. 2. Sixth round. 3. 57. 4. Ashley Lelie 5. Atlanta Falcons. 6. Washington Redskins. 7. Howard Cosell. 8. Chad Owens. 9. Mililani High School. 10. 63 yards. 11. Minnesota Vikings (third round). Salas has also played for the New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Jets, Detroit Lions and the Buffalo Bills.
# # #