By Lance Tominaga, ESPN Honolulu Web Editor.
Enjoying the World Series? The Atlanta Braves and Houston Astro’s are locking horns in this year’s edition of the Fall Classic, with Game 5 being held in Atlanta today at 2:00 p.m. (ESPN Honolulu’s broadcast coverage will begin at 1:00 p.m.) Here’s a quick trivia quiz spotlighting the history and legacy of Major League Baseball’s grandest stage:
- Who is the last team to win back-to-back World Series championships?
- Who is the only current MLB team yet to appear in the World Series?
- What was allowed for the very first time in the 1976 World Series?
- Who was the first manager to win World Series titles in both leagues?
- What year was the World Series not held due to a labor disagreement?
- What World Series matchup has occurred more than any other?
- Who is the only MLB team to appear in the World Series and not win a game?
- The World Series MVP Award is named after what all-time baseball great?
- In 1960, Bobby Richardson of the New York Yankees was named World Series MVP. What was so unusual about this particular honor?
- The New York Yankees have made the most World Deries appearances (40). Which team has made the second-most appearances?
- The New York Yankees actually won three straight: in 1998, ’99 and ’00.
- The Seattle Mariners
- The designated hitter was allowed for the first time.
- Sparky Anderson won championships with the NL’s Cincinnati Reds (1975, ’76) and the AL’s Detroit Tigers (1984).
- Yankees vs Dodgers (11 times)
- The Colorado Rockies have made just one World Series appearance, in 2007. The were swept by the Boston Red Sox.
- Willie Mays
- The second baseman Richardson remains the only MVP who played on the losing team.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers (21 appearances)